The PA finances a number of statistics schemes on the publishing industry:
- PA Sales Monitor Scheme (PASM) a monthly collection of home and export data on five amalgamated categories of Fiction, Non-fiction, Children's, School, ELT and Professional (and further subdivisions within some of these categories;
- PA Digital survey originally annual but is now collected twice a year;
- The PA's annual production survey on books toguage the industry's use of sustainable paper;
- The PA's biennial survey of rights and co-edition income from books;
- The PA's educational division (EPC) operates a monthly survey of publishers' sales of curriculum resources, broken down by subject, by key stage and by medium of delivery as well as a quarterly survey of school library publishers;
- The PA's Academic and Professional division (APD)'s quarertly higher education textbook survey, broken down by 26 subjects and recently total digital sales not split by category.
In addition, the PA also commissions research such as :
- annual surveys of school patterns and intentions for learning resources, intended to give educational publishers the views of head teachers and subject leaders. Free to members, this latest issue of this two volume report Learning Resources 2011 is now available for non-members to purchase from the online bookshop;
- the ad hoc surveys such as the Foregone Revenue Research undertaken by Bowker Market Research (formerly BML).